Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Arizona and Honolulu Tour

I can’t believe that we are halfway through 2009! How did that happen? This year is just flying by.

Today I went on a tour to Pearl Harbor and downtown Honolulu. The main part of our trip was to the USS Arizona Memorial. It was really somber experience seeing the ship still sitting on the bottom with colorful fish and crabs making their home on the rusty tomb. Today was gorgeous, and I kept trying to imagine the events of December 7, 1941 – Japanese planes, smoke filling the air – and I couldn’t even begin to picture it. It was just intense.

Other than that, I bought a book called Our Mothers’ War about women’s lives during the war. I started reading it and it’s pretty good so far. We toured random parts of the city…China Town and the Royal Palace. Good times.

-Jess
The Punchbowl and Arizona Memorial
Arizona Memorial

Waikiki Beach...beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment