Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hawaii

Hey guys! How’s it going? Not much happening here. I’m on day 4 of Waikiki in Hawaii and it’s pretty amazing. Definitely going to have to visit again later in life (hint hint). Anyway, I’m staying at Waikiki Beachside Hostel which, unlike most hostels, has a noon checkout, therefore a 3pm check-in. I got into the airport around 7am local time, and figured check-in would be at noon. I slept as much as I could in the airport then grabbed a bus over to the hostel. I got here, and the staff was really nice and stowed my luggage, so I just hung out on the beach for awhile. It was gorgeous. Nothing like watching surfers out in the distance while catching some rays:)

On the drive from the airport, I was aware of the little differences in the US and Australia. First of all, I withdrew some of our boring money. All one color. Really? Where’s the fun in that? And we drove by a football (of the gridiron persuasion) stadium, which made my stomach flutter with happiness. Then I went to Subway the first day to grab some food. I was really confused when I didn’t see my bright yellow Baked Lays, so I settled for Ranch Doritos (how do we live with all these choices of chips here? In Australia there were about three choices!). Then, today I went back and took a closer look at the chips on the top row. I was met with “New Look, Same Great Taste!” I go away for a semester and they change the packaging on my favorite potato chips?!? How mean! Then, to add to the annoying little changes, I no longer have any idea what I am going to pay for something. The US of A really needs to take a page out of Australia’s book and include taxes and everything in the advertised price. It makes life so much easier!

Moving on from my ranting: I got the semi-private room, because I was supposed to share with another girl from Australearn, but circumstances prevented that from happening:( I stuck with the room, and the only bad thing about it is that you have to go through another two person room to get to it. Wouldn’t be so bad if I was sharing with girls, but I’ve been lucky and not had sketchy boys. The first night I was here there were two German guys, and I only saw them once. The past two nights have been these two (pretty attractive) Aussie surfers from Melbourne. Lucked out on that one, even luckier that they weren’t here when I was sick yesterday :P

Speaking of that, I was really worried I might have gotten swine flu for a bit. I had been feeling bad ever since missing lunch at the airport, but I just thought that was why. Then yesterday I couldn’t get out of bed. I did run down to the ABC Store (convenience stores located on just about every block here in Waikiki) and grabbed a thermometer. I had a slight fever and decided that if I was still feeling like crap today I would go to the doctor. Luckily it passed and I was fine this morning. I even made it to the beach by about 8am! I did mistakenly think it was 10:30am though, so that might have been the reason I didn’t go straight back to sleep…lol.

Today was basically relaxing. I booked a tour of Honolulu and Pearl Harbor for tomorrow, which should be really nice. After that, I watched the sunset over the beach and mountains, then I went out to dinner at Cheeseburger In Paradise. I had my first legal USA drink, which was a Mai Tai…pretty tasty (hurray rum!). I sat at the bar and watched poker, because otherwise I would have waited forever for a table for one. Sad day. Then walking back to the hostel I was a little sad that I didn’t have a friend or boy with me. Especially when I saw a guy buying a lei from a street vendor lady to give to his girlfriend. Ah…definitely a place for romance and couples…one day, one day;)

I’ll quit my whining and head to bed. It hasn’t been too bad being a single traveler as I make it seem. I can’t wait for my tour tomorrow, and then possible one for Saturday. You know what that one is? A LOST tour!!! Can I be any more of a LOST nerd? Maybe if I send in a video of me in front of one of the sets to Jay and Jack…definitely have to remember to do that:)

Love you and see you soon!
-Jess

PS – Due to the high cost of our live aboard, I decided to skip out on the dive trip with the boys (according to Aaron that’s why I got sick:P), which is a total bummer. On the plus side, I talked to mama today and she says that we’ll be going to the beach a week after I get home! I don’t know how Myrtle Beach will look after all of my Pacific island adventures, but it’ll be nice to hang out with the girls of the family for a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment