Thursday, March 5, 2009

Fun Times Ahead

So, it's pretty crazy to think that it's snowing at home, and here it is currently 88 degrees and feels like it's 97. That's SC summer time weather! It's soooo warm, especially when I'm walking AT LEAST 15-20 minutes to each class...one way. I walk 40 minutes roundtrip for a 50 minute class...I should really invest in a bike, but I'm hoping that the walking will help me shed some of the pounds I've acquired in the past year. We'll see!

Anyway, my camera decided that it wanted to bail on me this week. I dropped it about a week before I left and the casing popped out. I figured that I would make due, because the only problem was that the flash took forever to work. Well, now the flash doesn't want to work at all. Sadness. So I've got to figure out if I want to send it home for the warranty to cover it, or find a place here. Hopefully somewhere around here will be able to (cheaply) help me out!

This and next weekend are going to be full of stuff to do. On Saturday, I'm going to try out a new sport for me: water polo. Don't worry mom, it's a lot less dangerous than rugby, which I could be joining! lol...and I'm also going to a surprise birthday party for one of the girls in my bible study. On Sunday I have a field trip to Pallendra Beach for my Functional Biology of Marine Organisms class...we're learning about the critters who hang out in the soft-sediment regions. Should be fun. Then next week I'm going to the Young Adults Camp at Arlie Beach, and we're going to go snorkling and ocean rafting in the Whitsundays and visit Queensland's Most Beautiful Beach, Whitehaven Beach. It's going to be a great weekend of fun and fellowship:)

UPDATE: I got toasted simply walking to class today. FUN! I need to just start walking around campus in in a bathing suit to even out:P

On a random note, here are some random Aussie words and phrases I hear on a daily basis:
"How ya goin'?"
"Good on ya!"
"Give it a go"
"No worries"
Buggered = tired
Mozzies = mosquitoes
Arvo = afternoon
Biscuit = cookie
Brekkie = breakfast
Footy = Australian rules football
Icy pole = ice pop
Lollies = candy
Chocko = chocolate
Chips = french fries
Rubbish = trash
Sunnies = sunglasses
Togs = bothing suit
Thongs = flip-flops

And speaking of togs, here's a funny commercial. Enjoy!

-Jess

1 comment:

  1. Haha...I was rereading my old posts, and "Don't worry mom, it's a lot less dangerous than rugby, which I could be joining!" made me laugh. I ended up playing rugby instead of water polo! haha

    ReplyDelete