Saturday, February 14, 2009

Oh Traveling...

So, I haven’t been able to post the past few days because they have been insane and packed with all kinds of fun stuff. Let’s start with the whole traveling adventure. It was crazy and much more stressful than I thought it would be. I took my flight from GSP and got to Charlotte fine. Well, the US Airways people told me that my flight was leaving about 40 minutes later than planned, so they told me what gate to go to and I grabbed some lunch and sat down to wait. We’ll they told me the wrong gate. By the time I realized it, I ran across the airport and got to my gate as my flight was taking off. Great. Well, I started to freak out a bit, but the American Airlines lady was really nice and got my on the next flight to LA. Silly US Airways people. Anyway, my bags were on the flight I was supposed to be on, and the lady told me that they would be locked up safely waiting for me in the LA airport. So I relax a bit and get my flight to LA. On the way I met a awesome kid named Laura Cain. She’s a pretty big deal, hanging out with people like Patrick Dempsey and Katy Perry (shameless shout out to Laura). But anyway, I went to ask for my bags, and they had no clue where they were. Minor freak-out on the inside. I had to wait for all the bags from my current flight, then I went to call my mom. Apparently some woman on my original flight thought that my bag was hers. So she grabbed it, took a $75 cab ride to her hotel to open up the bag and see my clothes. So, she was nice enough to bring it back and pay for that cab ride again. The only drawback was that she dropped it off on the other side of the airport. I don’t know if you know much about LAX, but they don’t have transportation from one side to the other. So I had to walk across the airport to find my bags. Luckily, I did find my bags, which was a relief.

Then there was waiting in LAX. A bunch of kids were there already, and we just kept adding people to our giant group. There were about 70 Australearn kids on the flight, and we just sat there and got to know each other. It was pretty fun. The only downside was that our flight was delayed for 2-ish hours. So by the time we got on the plane it felt like I’d been awake for 24 hours and I had a 14 hour flight ahead of me. We jumped on the plane and I sat next to Lindsay J. She’s really nice and we talked a lot. I have to say one thing: long Quantas flights are about the best flights ever. We had personal television screens and care packages and all kinds of good stuff. I watched Australia and some of The Duchess, but I slept a lot of the flight. Since we had such a big delay, we were really late for our flight from Brisbane to Cairns. They held the flight because we were such a big group, but there were still a bunch of regular people on the plane that had to wait for at least 2.5 hours for us to get there. When we boarded, you could tell they weren’t happy at all, which was completely understandable. We got to Cairns, but they had left our luggage in Brisbane for another flight, so I was without my luggage yet again. It didn’t get in until around midnight, so Gilligans (the hostel we stayed at) kept them in the lobby for us to pick up the next morning. I was just tired and ready to be in a bed, so we all passed out and slept all night. That’s about it for this travel post…more about the program introduction to come!

-Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment