Sunday, June 7, 2009

SwatVac (aka Study Vacation)

Hey guys!

Here at JCU, you get a week off from classes in order to study for your finals. Which is a great idea ***coughclemsoncough*** if you want to travel or have an exam the first Saturday of exams. Most of the USA kids decided to go on their adventures this week, and I was no exception. Julia, Leandra and I went to Melbourne and Sydney (where we met up with Emily). It was a pretty cool trip overall, and I wish I was in the fall weather of Melbourne right now!

MELBOURNE
So, I pretty much loved Melbourne. I didn't realize that I would miss cold weather, but when we stepped off the plane and I was chilly in my shorts and hoodie, a little part of me got excited. Jeans and hoodie weather? That's my style!

We got to our hotel and checked in to get a good nights sleep. The next morning we headed out to wander around Melbourne. Here, you ride trams around the city (and to get lost! lol). The first day we did some souvenir shopping, stayed at a random fountain to take pictures for way too long, and went to the Melbourne Museum, were we also spent way too much time! lol...then it got dark and we jumped on a tram to go home. But it was apparently the wrong one...we got rudely kicked off at the end, walked to a nearby police station and got directions. A good hour and a half delay. But on the plus side, in big cities, there was a 24-hour McDonalds and Subway (where 24 hrs = open until 2am) right near our hotel. Here in Townsville, nothing is open past 5ish on a late day!

On the second day, we did a tour. We decided to go see the little penguins that live about 2 hours south of Melbourne on Philips Island. On the way, we stopped at the Royal Botanical Gardens, a chocolate factory (where we got free chocolate!) and the Nobbies. It was pretty cool, though we didn't get to take pictures of the penguins, because it would confuse them.

I wish we could have spent way more time in Melbourne, but I think that if I come back to Australia, I will definitely have to spend a good bit of time there!


Melbourne leaves are falling!...waiting for a tram...beautiful city baths building. Love it!


Pretty fountain...Melbourne Museum...Diprotodon (biggest marsupial ever!)


Royal Botanical Gardens...Chocolate Factory...Kangaroo sanctuary


Clemson girls at the Nobbies...Me at the lookout...and Me cheesing.

SYDNEY
On the way to Sydney we had a bit of a flight snag. Our flight from Melbourne was just doing a quick stop in Sydney before heading to Hawaii, so it was international and we had to go through customs (yuck!). Well, it wasn't noted on our tickets, so we didn't know until we tried to check in. If you've ever flown out of the country, you know that you have to have your passport to go through customs. I was the only one with a passport, so Julia and Leandra had to pay an extra $120 to get another flight, because they're pretty strict about these things. I didn't get much of the story, because I had to head through customs as soon as I got my ticket.

When I arrived in Sydney, I got to go through the super cool thermal detectors to make sure I didn't have a fever/swine flu. Melbourne is the Australian capital of swine flu at the moment. And I totally went there. I'm currently past the incubation period, so I'm pretty sure that I didn't catch it:)

Back to Sydney. We did all of the typical touristy things: the Opera House, Sydney Harbor Bridge, Darling Harbor, the Sydney Aquarium. The Sydney Aquarium wasn't nearly as exciting as I had hoped it would be though...my favorite part being the dugongs. Oh well. On the last night we ate out on Darling Harbor (see the picture below...beautiful at night!). It was pretty fun, but like I said earlier...I really like Melbourne!

Just be happy I didn't make you look at all of my picturs of the Opera House/Bridge combo! lol


Tiger's representing...another shot of the OH and Bridge...Sydney from the Opera House

Me and the OH again...us goofing off on the steps.


Me and the Bridge...Go Tigers!


Dugong!...Nemo...and someone I wouldn't want to see on a dive.


Nemo sign...Darling Harbor by night...and the places we went.

That's about it for now...love and miss y'all!
-Jess

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed melbourne! You certainly managed to get a cold time to come to Melbourne! The weather has all of a sudden turned really cold in the last week or two. I'm looking forward to heading for warmer climates. If you get a chance to come back, melbourne is well known for its shopping and sport. Try to go to an AFL game while you are here. It is a cultural experience for sure!

    We ain't just the Australian Swine flu capital, international newspapers are declaring us Swine Flu capital of the world! I wouldn't be too worried about catching it unless you are leaving for a paranoid country very soon. The local strain is pretty mild.

    ReplyDelete